Recent changes to the BDL website have prompted questions regarding what to upload and when with BDL. This article intends to address the most common questions.
Prior to November 2020, you would receive a confirmation from order.bdl.ca after placing an order. Then, you would receive the invoice as a physical paper copy upon delivery. Now with the website beerforbusiness.ca, you receive electronic copies of both the confirmation and invoice.
How do I identify whether I have an invoice or a confirmation?
- Underneath the BDL logo, you see Invoice.
- The file name starts with "Beer Bill."
- The file contains an invoice number.
- Columns include "Quantity Confirmed" and "Quantity Shipped."
- Underneath the BDL logo, you see "Order Confirmation."
- The file name starts with a 4 digit number and "Beer Order Confirmation."
- It contains an order number, but no invoice number.
- Columns include "Quantity Ordered" and "Quantity Confirmed."
What copy should I import into GlobalTill?
- If you place more than one order from BDL per week using GlobalTill's PO generation tools, importing the confirmation may be an important part of your workflow so that the products show up as part of "Coming for Stock."
- If you only place one order per week, and do not use the automated PO generation tools, then we recommend importing the invoice, rather than the confirmation.
Why does selecting the appropriate copy matter?
- The confirmation contains a column called 'Quantity Confirmed', which, most of the time, is what you will receive and be invoiced for.
- Occasionally, you will be short-shipped. The BDL invoice and the 'Quantity Shipped' column represents what your store ultimately received, and can occasionally be more accurate than the numbers in the confirmation.
- If you import the order confirmation and are subsequently short-shipped, you must manually edit the supplier invoice to update the quantities before posting your supplier invoice, otherwise, your inventory will not be accurate.
What information is imported into GlobalTill?
- Quantity Confirmed @ Unit Price C$
- Quantity Shipped @ Unit Price C$
Common to both Order Confirmation and Invoice:
- Fuel Charge (Weight)
- Credits Applied
Are products automatically added if they do not exist in my store database?
At this time, if you check Create products if they do not exist:
- The GT Backend will automatically create a new product if no matching product is found in your database (we identify product's based on the SKU, which on the BDL documents is referred to as the Item No.)
- The product name will be set from Product Description column in the BDL document and a ** is appended to the end to make this easy to identify.
- The default supplier will be set to Brewers Distributors Ltd.
- The category is set to Default
We suggest you review and amend the following after the products are created:
- Set a retail price
- Change categorization and product naming to match your preferences
- Configure the appropriate multiplier and default units per case
- Any other product setup that is applicable to your store
The supplier database located at Products > Supplier Databases > BDL Products is no longer being updated automatically. While we work towards fully integrating the product information available at beerforbusiness.ca, we advise that you exercise caution and verify all values when using this information as it may be outdated.
Can we email in the order confirmation or invoice instead of uploading it through the GT Backend?
This will be coming back in a future release, stay tuned!