What is a price book and when would I use it?
A price book is an alternative set of prices for your products. The power of a price book is that it can be configured to be calculated automatically based on your preferences. You can then apply them to customers to offer them a separate set of prices.
Price books are a convenient way to:
- Give a wholesale or commercial discount to high-volume customers.
- Offer your staff a discount without accidentally selling below cost.
- Offer special pricing to your loyalty point customers.
- Increase your prices temporarily for a special event.
In each of these examples, you can create a price book in the GT Backend to accommodate your needs.
Here are a few examples of situations where a different GlobalTill feature may work better:
- When you want to schedule a sale or limited-time offer. This is best done by creating a sale. For more information see the article How to create a sale.
- When you want to automate your everyday retail pricing. This is best done by adjusting your retail pricing rules. For more information on retail pricing rules see the help centre hub for Retail Pricing Rules.
- When you want to offer BOGO. This is best done through BOGO management. For more information see the following articles: How to add a BOGO with dollar discount and How to add a fixed-discount BOGO offer.
To learn how to set up a new price book, see the article How to create a price book.